MICROWAVE RADIATION TESTING

What is Microwave Oven radiation?
Whenever a microwave oven is turned on, radioactive energy is produced causing the water in food to vibrate rapidly. This rapid vibration produces heat, which in turn cooks the food. The energy produced by a microwave oven can also penetrate through living tissue which is why exposure is harmful to our health.
Once you turn off the oven, the microwaves disappear but until then, you may be exposing yourself to dangerous levels of radiation leakage.

What causes Microwave Ovens to leak?
Slamming the door, dirt or food particles caught in the door seals and hinges, or basic wear and tear all cause the oven door to slightly separate from the oven enclosure. Once this happens, invisible, but highly dangerous microwaves leak through any small space and can cause irreversible damage and injury to the user.

What tests are completed?
The unit is inspected for any obvious physical damage to ensure safety as per AS/NZS 3760:2010 and AS/NZS 60335.2.25 Household and similar electrical appliances – Safety – Particular requirements for microwave ovens including combination microwave ovens.

Then I complete a Radiation Leakage Inspection on your Microwave Oven on site in accordance with AS/NZS 60335.2.25. This involves the measurement of radiation levels around the oven using an advanced Microwave Radiation Leakage Detector to ensure they are below limits specified in AS/NZS 60335.2.25. Please note, domestic radiation leakage detectors DO NOT comply with OH & S specifications for testing equipment, and I only use specialist equipment.

I also complete an electrical safety test in accordance with AS/NZS 3760:2010. Once the unit has been tested and passed, a sticker detailing AS/NZS 60335.2.25 certification label indicating radiation and power levels, is affixed to the front door of the Microwave to clearly display that the unit is safe to use.

What happens if the unit fails it’s testing?
If the unit fails testing, a “failed” appliance sticker is affixed to the front door of the Microwave. I will ensure key staff are made aware of the faulty appliance and the Microwave should then be removed from service in order to ensure a safe workplace.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

We are using cookies on our website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.